Monday, April 4, 2011

Brewer Birthdays!

Last month, Matt and I both celebrated birthdays! Matt turned 27 on March 20th, and I turned 25 on the 25th! Wow, I still can't believe we're in our mid twenties. Matt spent his birthday money on a rangefinder (cool hunting gadget). I went shopping to spend mine on clothes, but I couldn't get into the European trends that day, so I'll probably wait until we get back to the States to go on my shopping spree :)
Gideon and I woke Matt up with breakfast in bed the morning of his birthday...banana bread,  strawberries, and orange juice. 
After breakfast, they did some early morning reading...

I spent most of the day making Matt a strawberry cake. Talk about a huge baking blunder!! I did everything right until it came to stacking the two layers...I now know that when stacking cake layers, it is CRUCIAL to put the bottom layer face down and the top layer face up (especially with a moist cake)! If you fail to do so, your top layer will split completely down the middle, followed by both pieces sliding gradually off the cake! 
Like this...

I know this looks like a colossal mess and the least bit appetizing, but we managed to salvage it. We still ate every bite and Matt swears it was the best strawberry cake he's ever had! I guess appearance isn't everything!

On Friday, a couple of my sweet friends took me out to lunch at the Hummus Bar. I'm not normally into hummus, but it was surprisingly really tasty! They even brought me flowers and cupcakes! That night, a few more buddies offered to babysit Gideon so Matt and I could go out for dinner. This was such a nice birthday gift! We love spending time with G, but it's pretty hard to go out to eat with him here, especially for dinner. We went to an Italian place on the river called Trattoria. 

I ordered the smoked salmon speared with asparagus and covered in hollandaise sauce, along with grilled vegetables...SO good! Matt ordered a seafood pasta...He wasn't a big fan of his dish. There's something not so appetizing about a huge shrimp staring you in the face as you sort through pasta and octopus tentacles! Lol!


After dinner, we went home and indulged in the amazing cookie cake Matt made me! YUM! We both really enjoyed our birthdays and we're so thankful for sweet friends who made them extra special!

No comments:

Post a Comment